Αναζήτηση αυτού του ιστολογίου

Πέμπτη 16 Φεβρουαρίου 2017

Making Art with an Axe

The Baptism of Christ. Carved by the author in linden, 12″ x 16″

As we have just passed through the season of Theophany, I have been brought to ponder what Theophany means for art, especially liturgical art. The icon of Theophany offers much to reflect upon as we gaze at the elements it brings together. Just as in our lives and in the world, in the making of Christian art we must heed the entreaty of the voice calling in the wilderness:
“Repent, for the kingdom of God is at hand! 
“Prepare the way of the Lord, make his paths straight.”
“Even now the axe is lying at the root of the trees; every tree therefore that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire.”
“I baptize you with water for repentance, but one who is more powerful than I is coming after me; I am not worthy to carry his sandals. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire.”

Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια: